Monday, March 17, 2014

16 March 2014

Update: So my trainer got sent home on Tuesday and I spent a few days in the big city of Hamilton, on a bike with Sister Rogers (whose companion also got sent home)! It really made me miss my Katikati country even in just 2 days. You would think that people in the country would be a bit odd or different... which they are in some regards, but the people in the city seemed just a bit far gone. Gangs, drinking, and litter everywhere!  :( At one point we were talking to this man and this little girl in the background was cleaning a dog in the most peculiar places with just her hands, after 5 minutes she moved to the next dog. -----I have never been so distracted in all my life!!! just trying to carry on a conversation with the man in front of me was near impossible!----- Before we left we had a chance to ask the little girl what she was doing... and of course she said, "Catching flees!" EEeeeeeek! In every way EEeeek! 

Sister Holmes is my new companion and SHE IS THE BEST. She has come back to Katikati with me and we are doing great. I feel like I've taken off a heavy backpack after a long hike and I'm enjoying the lightness of it all. She's from Henderson, Nevada and has been out for about 10 months. I gotta admit, it is so much easier working with the Americans. Only because of the cultural similarities. It was hard before trying to fit in with the culture of NZ while also trying to fit in with the culture of my companion....speaking of which, some people are quite prejudiced against white people here. I've never felt bad or different about my ethnicity before, but this has been a good learning experience I've decided. 

We've been able to try some new foods lately and I have come to the conclusion that Fijian fish is not the most pleasant fish. But I have almost perfected the art of force feeding myself at member's homes. Fish, fish, fish... the people love fish!  The key is to drink water with every bite so that it goes down easier....which coincidentally also makes you full faster which then makes it harder to eat the rest of your food. I am thankful to have food. 

Sister Holmes has been teaching me some great lessons through her example. I'm learning how important it is to really listen to the people and love them and we love them by learning more about their culture. I think we want to pull a Matthew Cowley soon and totally immerse ourselves in the Maori language. That will mean in our spare time (aka meal time) we want to start learning more so that eventually we can bear our testimonies in Maori!

Everyone already loves Sister Holmes and so I feel like the work is going to start progressing here soon. Our set for baptism has stopped progressing so hopefully we can get him up and going again here really soon. 
 

_Kia Kaha and carry on!_

Sis. Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment