Thursday, April 17, 2014

13 April 2014

Too happy to say much at all :)

WOW times flies when you're loving those you're with. The days seem a bit long but the weeks fly by. Sis. Holmes and I have so much fun and share a similar sense of humor which makes everything seem 10 times funnier. 

In New Zealand it is a very great honor to receive a greenstone (jade) necklace or a bone carved necklace. You are never supposed to buy one for yourself (that is believed to bring you very bad luck), you're only supposed to get them as a gift  from another person who loves you and wants to give it to you. Sis. Holmes was given both a greenstone and a bone carved necklace. She was very loved by the members in her last area. ...But out of my complete shock and surprise I received a bone carved necklace yesterday!  It was a gift from a lady who I perceived to be indifferent towards me, if not slightly uninterested in me as a person.  I'm shocked and so happy!  It just goes to show you can never assume what people are thinking or feeling, nor should I try to interpret what the gift means exactly but I will love her and the necklace just the same! 

There is a woman here whose name is Paki- she came straight from Tonga and speaks absolutely no English.  She is a member and faithfully comes to church every week. Throughout the week she will go to the chapel, and with her handmade broom,  brush away all the leaves and rubbish that fall onto the lawn, making sure everything looks neat and tidy!  She came to conference this past weekend and stayed for the whole thing although she cannot understand anything being said!  What a faithful woman! I love her so much!  She has big hugs and wet kisses and after I let go of her hugs she always grabs me again and picks me up 3 times. It's weird but it makes me laugh. :)

General Conference was the greatest time ever. I couldn't believe how much they talked about faith, becoming a better disciple of Jesus Christ and learning to love one another. I learned heaps and was sad that it went by so fast, too fast!  I didn't get bored once and I couldn't write down their words fast enough. Well.... only 6 months till the next best conference in the history of the earth! :) 

Being happy sometimes means we don't have much to say because it's mostly how we feel.  You know you actually see that in the world a lot.  People are much more apt to listen or write about all the bad things than about all the good things.  I'll work on better expressing myself even in times of joy so that you can all know the source of my happiness. 

My personal goal these past couple of weeks has been to work on my trust in the Lord.  Because that is my goal, I have been given an opportunity for "trust exercises" every day.  When I recognize these moments for what they are I am given the choice to act or to not.  The moments when I don't are more "comfortable" but the quiet guilt and disappointment that follows is not.  When I recognize an opportunity to trust in the Lord and I open my mouth, I have never been disappointed. I may sound like a fool, or not make sense, or have the most wonderful, enlightening experience ever.  Either way I am never disappointed or full of regret when I open up my mouth. God blesses and protect those who sacrifice for him. 

I've heard mention that you want to know about a typical day in Katikati, well I'll have to write home about it 'cuz I'm out of time!

Love you all heaps and heaps!

kia kaha and carry on!

S. Moore 

[Note: Kia kaha is a Māori phrase used by both Māori and Pākehā (European) people of New Zealand meaning stay strong, used as an affirmation. The phrase has significant meaning for both the Māori and Pākehā people: popularized through its usage by the 28th Māori Battalion during World War II, it is found in titles of books and songs, as well as a motto.]

No comments:

Post a Comment